Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Illegal to run tow hitch and ball without towing?

Default Illegal to run tow hitch and ball without towing?

Question(s) of the day

I was talking with friends today who own trucks and what not. I had asked them if it's illegal to run tow hitch and ball if you're not towing anything? No one was able to give me an answer. I see people driving around with them all the time and doesn't seem to be an issue. My cousin and I were talking about it and he told me that it's illegal to run it if you're not towing. So I know at some point in my trucks life time that I am going to be towing. Now if I leave the tow hitch and ball on and drive around, am I going to get a ticket it for it? Would I be treated like I had limo tint on my front window and passenger side window lol?

Anyways! If anyone can answer this please post, thanks!

Hogwash. Run it any time. Never heard of ANYONE getting in trouble for this. You never will get in trouble for this either.

Tin is different because it is an immediate safety issue.

Yes when you are not towing there should be nothing left in your receiver, this is due to safety in an accident. Now do they actually ticket for this? I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket myself.

* Vision X Lighting - CBI Offroad - Cochrane Toyota *
    Follow me on Instagram - Reeeno403

TacomaWorld - Reeeno403

so it is?

I'm leaning toward urban myth. I previously misspent a good amount of time searching the the Highway Traffic act and couldn't find any similar legislation..

I've also heard that it is illegal to have a tow hitch on the truck when not towing, and it makes sense to me, if someone rear-ends you, they will get speared and suffer way more damage, and neither vehicle's bumper will be able to do the job it was intended to do.

That said, I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket or even a warning about this. Nor have I ever heard of anyone successfully confirming this in the actual legislation.

In short, I have no idea.
    2009 White Tacoma Dbl Cab LB TRD Sport
    AllPro front bumper w/ Warn 8500 winch, AllPro IFS skid, 4xInnovations sliders, CBI rear bumper
    Icon ext. travel coilovers w/ Camburg UCAs, AllPro exped leaf pack w/ Fox 2.0 RR shocks, AllPro U-bolt flip kit, ext. braided steel brake lines
    Weathertech floormats, Wet Okole seat covers, Viair OBA, Canopy
    Summer - ATX Mojave Teflon w/ Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (33x12.5)
    Winter - OEM 16inch Alloys painted black w/ Nokian Hakka LT Studded (265/75/r16)

I'll try and find a link for this as it has already been discussed a few years back on here. If I remember correctly, Alberta it is not illegal. Saskabush is a different story. I'll try and find the linky.
    White '98 TRD Extended Cab
    YotaFab Front Bumper, 10,000lb SuperWinch, Lightforce Striker 170s, YotaFab Custom Rear Bumper, Allpro Sliders
    IVD Coilovers, TC UCAs & Spindle Gussets, Deaver Rear Leaf Springs, Bilstein 5150 Rear Resi Shocks
    Tacoma Manual Hub Swap, Tundra S13WE Calliper and Rotors, Brembo Rear Drums, SS Brake Lines
    35x12.5 BFG KM2 Tires, 4.88 Gears, ARB Front Locker, TRD Rear Locker
    Painted, Fenders Cut and Bed Bobbed.

CT4WD Team - "See you on the trails!"

I am not sure if it is illegal or not, but if you ever get rear ended / in an accident it may affect your claim. I did not have my hitch in when I just got hit so I can not add any insight, however if I had the other guys front end would have been really messed.

Perfectly legal
    05' double cab speedway blue TRD sport
    slightly modded

There is no section in the act for a hitch ball.
    2008 Sequoia Platinum
    1998 4runner SR5 V6 5spd