Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Tacoma - start engine, then dies...

Default 2008 Tacoma - start engine, then dies...

So folks, this is the scenario:

I drive my truck, it's good and warmed up, no issues at all. I arrive at my destination, and shut the truck off. I return to the truck some 30-60 minutes later, start the truck up and it dies within 1 second of it starting. I try and re-start it and it won't even catch.

The first time it did this I let it sit for a few hours, tried a re-start, and it started right up no problem. Yay! The second time it died was a good month or so later, and at least 4 tank fill ups in between. However, this time I dumped a bottle of gas line anti freeze in it and it started up right away. Yay again!! The third time it did this, I was sitting at the gas pumps, tried dumping a bottle of gas line AF in, and it still took a good hour before it would start. Boo! I must've read every magazine at the Shell station waiting. Now, it's starting to do the no- start more frequently and up to several times a day - in fact, yesterday I had to leave the truck running all day in sheer paranoia that I wouldn't get to all my required jobsites.

My theory of a little moisture in the tank has been thrown out since I've dumped a crap load of gas line AF in there.

I'll be taking it into the dealer but does anyone have any thoughts on what may be causing my, "omg, please start, please start.......noooooo!"
    2012 Tundra Double Cab TRD Offroad. The Family Adventures continue!
    2008 Tacoma DC Long for Overland Family Adventures.

VE6WOZ

HI

I'm going start with the "How does the electrical system check out..." line of thought:

-battery good? It should be still good in a 2008, but weirder things have happened. what is the voltage with engine off?
    -terminals to battery tight?
    - have you done any electrical mods (remote starters / security systems / VHF installs)?
    when it doesn't start, exactly describe what happens... does it just turn over & over to no avail? any weird clicking sounds? any humming or buzzing?

thanks

Geoff
    '06 SR5 DC LB with All-Pro 3" Expedition Lift +650 lb CO / Roll 'N Lock Tonneau / Philips Xtreme bulbs / Yaesu FT2600 / AllPro: IFS, tranny & T-Case skids, Bumper + lightbar / diff breather mod / 9155 fogs always on / Fox 2.0 Reservoir x4 / Timbrens x 4 / Custom (YotaFab) Rock Sliders / LightForce Blitz 240s /Complimentary Black Lab Fur/ LC 80 rims / KM-2s / APRS / Warn M8000 & stuff
    VA6TAC
    2001 Highlander LE (wife's)

http://media.nscdn.com/uploads/site/...285/banner.jpg

I am no modern Toyota guy but one thought comes to mind based on your descritpition. Could it be a security issue? GM vehicles have theft detterent systems that when screwing up do just what you describe. The vehicle would start, run 30 seconds and then die and if tried more than three times will crank but not start. So do Toyotas have a theft detterent system? If so when the event occurs is the security light on constant or flashing? Basic diagnosis on any cranks but does not run is (do not get offended by the obvious questions) is there fuel? can you here the fuel pump run? is the check engine light functioning (ie is the ecm alive)? is the security light on? Next is getting hands dirty - is there spark (pull a plug wire)? is there fuel pressure (depress schrader valve)? At this point if no clues are found it's of to the shop.

Hi Tarzan

Yes, the 2006+ has an Engine Immobiliser system i.e. our keys are "chipped"

If you loose one, you need to get it reprogrammed so the ECU will recognise it. Don't ask me how I know this

This issue is delaying my remote starter / anti theft security system install, actually, as getting a bypass in Calgary is ridiculously expensive so my installer is getting it from Ontario.

I never thought of that... wonder if something is failing on the immobiliser system.
    '06 SR5 DC LB with All-Pro 3" Expedition Lift +650 lb CO / Roll 'N Lock Tonneau / Philips Xtreme bulbs / Yaesu FT2600 / AllPro: IFS, tranny & T-Case skids, Bumper + lightbar / diff breather mod / 9155 fogs always on / Fox 2.0 Reservoir x4 / Timbrens x 4 / Custom (YotaFab) Rock Sliders / LightForce Blitz 240s /Complimentary Black Lab Fur/ LC 80 rims / KM-2s / APRS / Warn M8000 & stuff
    VA6TAC

Hiya Geoff,

No electrical mods done.(all my radios are cigartette plug-in type for now, and they're not in use these days) Battery seems strong, although I will check the volts, and the terminals are tight and clean.

I do hear a relay clicking and a hum/buzz sound after I turn the key back to the "off" position - sounds like the fuel pump is functioning?

Funny, it's fine on a cold start,(for now) and it's only after the truck has been driven for quite some time that it won't re-start right away.

Harry - "check engine" nor the security light come on at all when this is happening. I have fuel in the tank I'll have to take a peek at the fuel pressure though.

It's kind of reminiscent of when I had a failing fuel pump in my old F250. I'd run the truck on the rear tank and when the fuel pump started to act up, (truck would start to sputter) then I'd switch quickly to the front tank and continue on driving. The rear fuel pump wouldn't work until things cooled off after a while.

Thanks guys! It's indeed a curious thing!

VE6WOZ

that is the exact problem my parents 95 volvo wagon had, it would run for a little while and start to sputter and die then you wouldn't be able to start it for a couple hours, if it was really hot out the car would barely run at all, and it ended up being the fuel pump starting to fail, got that replaced and now it has been going strong for 3 years with no problems.

Vacuum leak or cold start injector or air temp sensor. In the opposite order.. Just throwing stuff out there..... youknow...
    Canada Toyota 4WD Association

1981 Toyota Truck Sr5

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    Hiya Geoff,

I do hear a relay clicking and a hum/buzz sound after I turn the key back to the "off" position - sounds like the fuel pump is functioning?

Funny, it's fine on a cold start,(for now) and it's only after the truck has been driven for quite some time that it won't re-start right away.
    I can't help but feel that there is something in those two sentences that are our clue... but I need to ask any Toyota techs on here:

Would a fuel pump (or a starter) that is intermittently cutting out throw enough of a code to start up the check engine light? Does low fuel pressure on the rail do that? Can you have hidden codes that don't trigger a light?
    Without a TechStream or a Scan Gauge I wouldn't know what to check next...

I just now tried my start sequence with radio & fan off so I could hear any sounds.... 2 rapid relay-sounding clicks from the passenger side with the key at the position just before full start. The position where all your gauges come alive, truck is annoyed that you're not wearing seat-belt, etc. I turned the engine over, then off, then back to the same key position. Same thing 2 clicks - no buzz or hum. Where does this buzzing sound like it's coming from? under dash vs engine compartment? A second set of ears might help here...

Geoff
    VA6TAC

^^^Okey dokey - I just ran out to the truck and did a start sequence to double check this humming sound. So, I started the truck then shut it off. I definitely hear a humming, well now that I listened to it carefully, it's more of a whirring sound that ends with a definite click. So, one more time - engine starts, I turn key off and I hear a short whirring sound that ends with a click. It appears to be coming from the engine bay. Now I`m really confused!

I`ll have to see if this whirring sounds replicates itself on a no-start.

Thanks to all!

VE6WOZ

wow! my friend had this problem on his nissan sentra, it happened to me like 2 to 3 times too on my mits lancer and an older toyo echo. usually, alternator problem, if we dont hear any "electrical loop" i dont know how you call it or response at all.

check batt (always first, if there's charge, a sudden breakdown might happen even after a short/long drive, weak battery, batt maybe doesn't accept charge anymore), and wiring are the basic troubleshooting there is.

else computer problem! :--)
    Last edited by ashtonybb; 02-20-2011 at 01:44 PM.